Friday, October 08, 2010

My ego is named Gizmo

It's no shock to say that us lawyers have healthy egos.

Some have been the best of the best of the best (with Honors) for their entire lives. Others have experienced crazy success in their professional lives.

Then there is my dormant ego.

My ego turns off and on depending on who I am dealing with at any given moment. If you are a down to earth, intelligent, rational human-being; I'll be the most humble and self-deprecating person on the planet. I figure that you get a lot more done in a day when you try and make the other person laugh.

If you not someone that can be charitably called a "human being", my ego will then attempt to choke you.

Now, a for instance...

Last week, I was trying the cute and cuddly approach to a Plaintiffs counsel that I've been fighting with for years. I was trying to get him to see the light (and realize that he has no case). Unfortunately, he is a true believer in his cause and no amount of common sense (nor evidence) will dissuade him from the righteousness of his position. Then he dropped this beauty: "Don't debate this law with me, I helped draft this law!"

He then began to recite chapter and verse about the various provisions of the law that are going to get his client a substantial recovery. Which, in my opinion, is bullshit. I finally lost my patience and my superiority complex took over Thus, I respond like a sarcastic little ass: "Is that why the legislature gutted your law a year after you wrote it?"

I don't think he liked that being brought up. He stormed off and didn't return. So much for settlement.

Ego 1, Client's Best Interest 0.

Also, don't get my ego wet.