Monday, March 15, 2010

Looking for an escape clause

I’ve managed to get out of all of my scheduled court appearances this week. That means I won’t have to make any 100 mile road trips for 28 seconds in front of the judge…at least this week. This also means that I won’t have a legitimate excuse to actually leave the office.

This is a problem.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love nine or ten straight hours without seeing natural light, breathing filtered air and staring at a computer screen. But, I feel wrong just leaving (damn you work ethic! DAMN YOU!). I really feel wrong leaving when I have six outstanding discovery projects, two motion to compels, five settlement demands and one complaint that all need doing (not to mention the other 28 things on my to-do list that need doing).

This could be a productive week. It also could be a week where I snap at one of the clients from h-e-you-know-where for calling when I am stuffing myself with lunch I’ve ordered in.