Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Case to no case in 4.6 seconds

Caller: I want to ask you a question.
Me: Go right ahead.
Caller: My son was in a car accident and he broke his pelvis.
Me: When did this happen?
Caller: Yesterday.
Me: Tell me about the accident.
Caller: It’s not about the accident. The Doctor, at the hospital, sent him home without surgery but he has to go back and see if he needs surgery.
Me: What’s your question then?
Caller: Can I sue because they sent him home without surgery?
Me: No.
Caller: That just don’t seem right to me.
Me: I’m a lawyer, not a doctor. Trust the doctor on this. It did just happen yesterday. Maybe I can help him with the car accident though. You want to tell me about that?
Caller: He was in a car that was being chased by the police…

It’s at this point in the call that I avoid having the caller ask why I am laughing.

And I refer her to a civil rights lawyer.