Friday, December 04, 2009

The Casual Friday Memo re: Being More Casual

MEMO TO: All secretaries, paralegals, law clerks, claims handlers, judicial staff, opposing counsel and anyone everywhere that I come into contact with in a professional capacity.

FROM: Namby. Just Namby. Not. Mr. Pamby, Counselor Pamby or Mr. Namby Pamby, Esq.

I’m 27 and I’ve been a licensed, practicing attorney for over two years. Let me rephrase: I’m 27 and I’ve been in the working world for two years. I have no blockbuster verdicts to my name, I’ve never negotiated an eleven-figure merger nor have I successfully become Chief Justice Robert’s right hand man. In other words, I don’t want reverence solely because I am a guy that spent seven straight years in the land of higher education.

Yes, I went to law school. Yes, I passed the bar. Yes, I have a job at a firm. But that doesn’t mean that I am somehow God’s gift to the professional world. I’m a lawyer. Woopeedoo.

My simple request for all of the people that I come in contact with: STOP CALLING ME MISTER! Using my first name is not a crime. I prefer it. And maybe, it’ll make our jobs just that much easier (especially if you don’t think I am some sort of pretentious asshat).

The client is mister, ma’am, sir, your worshipfulness, etc. Not me. I’m just the professional bullshit artist in the nice suit.

Very truly yours,

Namby
If only I could make this policy effective...