Monday, September 28, 2009

Greed is good. ish Clients are dumb. ish

The case begins:
Client: All I am looking for is for my medical bills to be paid.
Lawyer: I look forward to working with you on this matter. We will see what we can do together.

Two months later:
Client: I want my medical bills paid and I want $25,000.
Lawyer: I think that is a reasonable expectation

Two more months later:
Client: I want $50,000.
Lawyer: I am working towards that.

Two weeks after that:
Lawyer: They’ve offered $75,000. I think there is more money to be had though.
Client: I want $100,000. Not a penny less.

The next day:
Lawyer: I’m looking for you to give me permission to settle the case
Client: I’ve changed my mind. I need at least $200,000.

Later. That same day:
Lawyer: They’ve offered $400,000. I strongly recommend that you settle this case.
Client: That’s just not enough. Let’s go to trial.