Thursday, September 24, 2009

BREAKING NEWS: Client Knows All!!!

Client: Namby, all I can say is that I am not thrilled with the way you and your partner are handling the case...I’ve been talking with another attorney and he doesn’t understand what you are doing.
Me: And what should we be doing?
Client: Well, to start, I don’t understand why you haven’t issued any discovery and why you don’t have any of the records. I took it upon myself to go to the Circuit Clerk and pull the court file and there was nothing in there but the complaint and a few orders. There was no evidence in the file! The attorney I talked to was stunned. Stunned!!!
Me: Well that sounds like a little bit of an issue.
Client: You are telling me that!?!?!? Come on! What type of attorney are you?!?
Me: The type of attorney that knows that the presiding judge has a standing order where discovery requests don’t get put in a public court file, the type of attorney that subpoenaed and received all of the records over a year ago, and the type of attorney who complied with the court order to finish written discovery eight months ago.
Client: …Oh…
Me: And what type of attorney are you talking to?
Client: My real estate attorney.
Me: Can I get his phone number, I want to ask his advice on how to prepare for your deposition.

I feel loved.