Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It was Monday and I was feeling devious

It all started with a typical crazy person, potential client call:

Caller: I was wronged by the State and I need to sue.
Me: You are going to have to be a little more specific.
Caller: First off, this happened in Michigan…
Me: I’m sorry, we aren’t licensed to practice in the State of Michigan.
Caller: Do you know any Michigan lawyers?
Me: I don’t kn… (glances at my open gChat window…thinks that this would be a great practical joke potential client to refer one of my friends) …actually let me put you on hold and get you a number.
I put the guy on hold, Google my friend’s law firm and find his office phone number.
Me: “Talk to him only. He is top notch and he can definitely help you out”
As soon as I get off the phone, I send an e-mail to the unknowing recipient:
To: Law School Class Mate
From: Me
Subject: Referral
I just got a call in the office from some guy looking for a PI lawyer in Michigan. I don’t know anything about the case but I gave him your office number. Good luck my friend.
The response came quickly:
To: Me
From: Law School Class Mate
Subject: RE: Referral

You. Bastard.

This gentleman, just so you know, wants to sue the entire state of Michigan and everyone involved in the judicial system. He mumbled off something else as well. Oh, and, he lives somewhere up north. And, I mean like, north NORTH. Places where people are often seen wandering the deep woods in search of big foot north.

It must be Monday…
With a friend like me, who needs opposing counsel?