Thursday, July 23, 2009

There comes a point in time where subtle insults give way to direct mockery

Caller: My kid busted his eye open at school and I want to know how much money he is entitled to.
Me: Well, how did he hurt himself?
Caller: What do you mean?
Me: His eye didn’t bust open by itself did it?
Caller: I don’t know how he did it. But it happened at school!
Me: I understand that, but what was he doing to hurt himself?
Caller: It was a garbage can.
Me: Now we are getting somewhere. How did your son hurt himself on the garbage can?
Caller: I don’t know.
Me: You need to talk to your son to find out what happened.
Caller: I’m telling you it happened at school!
Me: That’s a great start, but did the garbage can jump up and hit your son?
Caller: I don’t know.
Me: Let’s assume that there were no magical garbage cans were present at your son’s school that day, what was he doing when he got hurt by the garbage can?
Caller: He was running around.
Me: That’s great. But you haven't told me anything that makes you have a case.
Caller: What do you mean? It happened at SCHOOL!
Me: Just because your son is a klutz doesn’t mean you get paid.

I get amazed at how often the idiocy repeats itself. I never get tired of laughing at it. Hopefully you still find this sort of things amusing. Now, if you'll excuse me, my phone is ringing again...