Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Let’s face it, some people have a way with words. Other people…oh…not have way

I was doing deposition preparation with a client this morning. The client is beginning to worry that he is not mentally ready to go through with the deposition. Thus, he wants to call off the deposition. I am in the "associate doesn't want to fuck up and piss off his partner" mode, so I have to calm the client down before he gets into the prep session:

Me: You will be fine. Trust me. This is no different than you and your wife talking about this. Or you and me talking about this. There is nothing to worry about.
Client: I don’t think I can do it. I just can’t!
Me: This is no worse than going to the dentist office. You will be fine. [Pauses. Brain catches up with mouth]
Did I mention that this is a dental malpractice case?