Sunday, April 12, 2009

Helping out the family in tough and desperate times

My one cousin and I are close. She and I are both professionals, the same age and we see eye to eye on most things. For most holidays, our respective families are together. Today, however, we were at separate family gatherings for Easter. I went to visit my Dad's side of the family and she was at my Mom's (and her Mom's) extended family.

For reasons that I have discussed in the past, her destination was not the preferred location for her to be without backup. Backup like me.  I got a text message from her about two hours into the family gathering:  "Help me!!!!"


As I was four flutes of champagne and three glasses of wine into the afternoon, my response was simple: "(1) Open a bottle of wine (2) insert straw (3) inhale until family becomes tolerable.  Repeat as necessary."

Yay family!