Thursday, February 10, 2005

Legal Writing: Where Intelligence Goes to Die

I'm sitting in the student lounge before what will be a quiz over the finest part of being a lawyer. No, I am not talking about the inner workings of the mailbox rule or the effect of Pennoyer on personal jurisdiction; I'm referring to the vast universe of fun known as the Bluebook.

Perhaps those that have gone before can explain why on earth there is a quiz on a book that lawyers never have to go without. This is an open book test. This is a test where a few legal writing professors have said that they flunked the test. This is the test I sit waiting to take. Am I the only one who sees the irony in a professor flunking a test they are about to throw at their students? Isn't it ironic that the professors don't know what they are teaching, don't ya think....ok, sorry no more old song references...

If the professors can't pass it, I am stuck wondering a) why should I try? and b) why should I care? The only thing I have to look forward to is that I'll probably be taught how to make a Waldorf Salad by my LW prof.

Anyone know how to string cite a blog?