Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Working towards a better economic future: A public service announcement

Supposedly, the economy is in the tank. I’m not really sure what this means, but it has probably something to do with why I have friends that I went to law school with that don’t have a job as a lawyer.

My firm, as it seems most, has instituted cost cutting measures across the board to help with the bottom line. For instance, I am actively ‘borrowing’ Westlaw from two law students. “I don’t know why it says For Educational Use Only, your Honor…” It’s not a culture shock per se, but it is one that focuses on the business end of practicing law.

In the spirit of ‘we’re all in this together’ I am trying to do my part: I’ve stopped photocopying portions of my body 1000 copies at a time, I raid other offices supply storage areas for neat supplies that I’ll never use and I now call the annoying clients collect.

I encourage you all to do you part.

While finding a way to bill your clients for that time.