Thursday, March 17, 2011

Not how I envisioned the day going

For those of you following my twitter feed, you know that I had a major oral argument today.

To cut to the chase, I lost.

Granted, this is the first true defeat since my first trial where I just lost (3 years ago) so it's been a while since I've tasted this sort of disappointment. Yeah, I've gotten chewed out, lost the inconsequential motions or been threatened with sanctions, but this was the equivalent of a not guilty. Total and utter defeat.

Here's the simple fact: I'm not pissed that I lost. I'm pissed at how I lost.

I've spent the last two weeks getting ready for today. At first, I didn't understand the nuances of the law at issue but I learned that. I didn't understand the mechanics of the facts, but I learned those. I had all of the knowledge I could possible grasp at my fingertips and able to spew out at a moments notice.

After a lot of work, I was ready.

45 minutes of argument later I was sure that I had carried the day. The court announces that it will take the arguments under consideration, take a brief recess and render a ruling. My first comment to my opponent: 'Think the judge is going back to chambers to flip a coin?'

The Bible does say pride goeth before a bitch slapping...

The judge reappears mere minutes later in the courtroom, announces that there is a written opinion (6 effing pages) and that I've lost. I could have spent the last two weekends doing something fun instead of preparing for the circle jerk that was this oral argument.

On the bright side, I drank really good scotch tonight to console myself. Though I'm sure my client doesn't give a rats ass about that...

Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday.