Friday, November 26, 2010

I just got dropped from the fantasy team

This is not exactly how I wanted to spend my first personal day off in 57 weeks, but nonetheless, there I was sitting in pre-op being a pin cushion (“IV stick test dummy”) for the nurse awaiting the beginning of my second knee surgery.



Then the surgeon came in with the news of the day: “We aren’t going to be able to do this as we planned as it looks like there is only a ten percent chance of success.” Which translated loosely into “Your worst fears are coming true and you will spend the rest of the year learning to walk again.” The anesthesiologist comes in, I roll out and the next thing I know, I wake up having been hacked to pieces.

Only to find out that I came out aces.

The arthroscopic procedure was as invasive as they had to go (instead of using a rusty butcher knife on the knee), they cleaned everything up, took the screw out and after coming back from dreamland, I was able to walk out of the hospital.

The reason why?

My screw was loose.