Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Bastard Case is Dead, long live the Bastard Case

One of the first cases I was assigned three years ago has finally settled.

If you couldn’t tell from the title of this post, I have spent three years ignoring this case. Seriously ignoring this case.

There were multiple motions to reinstate the case…because someone forgot about the court date. All the while, the defense firms ignored all of my settlement demands, suggestions of bad faith activities and my overall general snark. My interest in resolving this by means other than self-induced Alzheimers only appeared when I thought I was going to get yelled at by the Judge.

In my defense, the client kind of forgot about the case.

Up until last week, the first time I actually had a conversation (with an attorney from the opposing counsel’s office) about this case was…um…never. These are the joys of dealing with a substandard insurance company. Out of the blue comes a call from the new defense firm. The third defense firm in the last 18 months. “Hey, what will it take to settle this?”

The bastard case is no longer. Now, I just need to find a new case to ignore, abuse and generally forget.

Or not.