Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Molding a future lawyer

I've got a law student for the summer and frankly, I'm excited. Not only do I get to hand off the annoying work that prevents me from napping on an hourly basis. It's my opportunity to mold a starbucks barista lawyer-in-training and teach him all of the bad habits that I have learned in three years of practicing law.

The first time I took him to court, my plan was to bring him with me before the bench. I figured, I could have the judge scare the desire to continue lawyering out of him. Unfortunately, my ultimate plan to reduce my future job competition was foiled by a less than happy judge and a super crowded court call. I did get him to admit that he was nervous just sitting there watching a normal Daley center court call take place. It was a small victory.

On a positive note, he didn't go screaming from the office after his first day.

On a negative note, he didn't go screaming from the office after his first day.

I intend to expose him to as much of my lawyering life as I can. But how do I go about doing it in a manner that is entertaining for me?