Thursday, February 18, 2010

Haste makes waste

I make mistakes and it happens more than I like to admit. I get to laugh at most of my mistakes and my clients are never that prejudiced for when I have an attack of the stupids.

Lo and behold, I hav dne screwd up agin.

However, this time I have to have a judge sign off on my mistake as being harmless. This oopsie involves a court order where yours truly wrote the wrong date on it: I wrote January 5th when it was actually January 6th. The clerk file-stamped the order with my error on it and on my way I went. (Note: the filestamp put the correct date on the order).

At the time, I didn’t think anything of it. I should have. And now, a year later, I am responding to a Motion to Dismiss because of my handwriting error.

Writing the brief where my actions are the focus is a whole new experience and signing an affidavit stating that I am an idiot just adds insult to injury:
  1. I am over the age of twenty-one and licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois
  2. On January 6, 2009, I was the attorney present before the court in this matter.
  3. I filled out the form order at issue in this motion and it is my handwriting that says the date was January 5, 2009.
  4. I mistakenly wrote the wrong date in the order.
  5. I forgot the damn date and defense counsel is making me look like even more of an idiot.
  6. Further affiant sayeth not.
The real kick in the pants is that the date that I mistakenly filled in is in the area typically reserved for the judge to fill out.

I was just trying to make the whole process go a little bit faster.