Monday, January 18, 2010

A working holiday

Today is one of those days where political correctness demands that you reflect. It is doubtful that many during the 1960’s could have imagined the progress that is now our reality. We have to look no further than the White House: 40 years ago, could anyone have imagined a nine-fingered man being Chief of Staff to the President? I think not.

Last time I checked, this day is a national holiday and, as such, I continue with the tradition that I started 10 years ago: doing exactly what I would be doing on any other day.

Having attended a College and a Law School that didn’t particularly care what was going on outside of its hallowed walls, I never got into the tradition of taking Martin Luther King Day off. Nor President’s Day. Definitely not Casimir Pulaski Day. [We did get Easter off, but I think that that had more to do with the fact that holiday fell on a Sunday]

I have plenty of friends that observe this day and its importance to our Country. They are called government employees.

For me, and a lot of other attorneys that I know, today is the day to catch up on paperwork (if we weren’t smart enough to schedule a deposition). Maybe, if I’m lucky, I’ll be able to get out of the office a little early today. And that’s about the best I can hope for on any working holiday.