Monday, October 12, 2009

Upon which I have a conversation with an opponent of tort reform

Caller: I want to sue my doctor!
Me: Why don’t you tell me why you think your doctor needs to be sued…
Caller: I went to the doctor and he didn’t tell me what I had.
Me: What do you ‘have’?
Caller: Scabs.
Me: Scabs?
Caller: SCABS! S-c-a-b-e-s. Scabs!
Me: Scabes. Gotcha.
Caller: HE DIDN’T TELL ME WHAT I HAD AND NOW IT’S GOTTEN WORSE! HE GAVE ME MEDICINE BUT HE DIDN’T TELL ME WHAT I HAD!! I AM MAD!
Me: I understand your frustrations, but there is no reason to yell. It is only nine in the morning.
Caller: I believe that this is a terminal disease. I can feel it in my brain! This doctor has killed me!
Me: He gave you medicine?
Caller: Yes. But I lost it.
Me: Did you go back to him to ask him to replace it?
Caller: No.
Me: Did you go to another doctor and ask for a replacement prescription?
Caller: No.
Me: Your doctor gave you a prescription but didn’t tell you what it was for?
Caller: Yes!
Me: And you didn’t ask?
Caller: No.
Me: And you want to sue your doctor?
Caller: Yes sir!