Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I can either be cheap or I can put you in a position to win...your call.

I was on the phone with a massively important client. We are in the process of filing multiple briefs in support of our many motions (read: I am running around with my hair on fire) before the upcoming hearing in this case. The Client and I are discussing the next several days of happenings and what currently I am working on for him. Twenty minutes into the conversation, the client made a funny:

Me: Today I will be finishing up the remaining brief writing and then we will be filing everything in advance of the scheduled hearing.
Client: That sounds great. I should get off the phone and let you get back to work.
Me: I’m glad that we got a chance to discuss this and I’ll be spending the rest of the day working on this matter, so feel free to give me a call if you have any questions
Client: The rest of the day?
Me: As you can see from our status letters and our billing statements, we have been working on this for several months now. The next couple of days will likely determine the outcome of this case.
Client: You think you could finish up everything with the remainder of this hour?
I’ve billed 16 hours on the project since this phone call.