Tuesday, March 31, 2009

These things happen

I got a call from an attorney’s secretary. This is a secretary who I’ve talked to and worked with many times over the last year and a half because my firm does a lot work with her boss. Unfortunately for her, I was in a little slap-happy when her number popped up on my caller ID:

Me: Namby Pamby
Secretary: I’m calling from John Q. Lawyer’s Office on a new matter and...
Me: I’m sorry I don’t know who that is.
Secretary: You’re kidding?
Me: Nope.  Sorry.
Secretary: Your office and our office are working on a zillion different cases together.
Me: Name just doesn’t ring a bell.
Secretary: [Silence]
Me: Of course I’m kidding! Can’t I have a little fun in the morning? How is your boss doing?
Secretary: He’s on vacation.
Me: Sounds like he violated his parole again.
Secretary: …
Me: I'm sorry, I just can’t help myself. What can I do for you this lovely morning?
Yeah, it happens.