Thursday, March 05, 2009

Your friendly office supply thief and professional life coach strikes again

In addition to providing a brief glimpse of the funny that goes on with being a lowly associate, I want to provide you with tips on how to improve the daily grind. I know what you are thinking, “Namby, you’ve got some splainin to do” and “Namby, it’s my money and I want it now!”

The wisdom of what I want to share with you today is derived from the reason I became a lawyer: unfettered access to office supplies.

I am a person that likes to carry the absolute minimum into the office each day: my briefcase and only my briefcase.  This is exacerbated by the fact that I have an hour train ride on each end of my work day and space can be at a premium. But my desire to be lugging a single bag to and fro is complicated because I am also a person that likes to work out at the office gym. 

Fig. 1: The Stank

I have frequently struggled with how to transport sweaty workout clothes home in my briefcase without smelling up the autographed copies of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition important client documents.  The solution is avails itself through simple reapportionment of readily available office supplies:

Fig. 2: The pilfered UPS PAK

The recipe here is simple: Add the contents of Fig. 1 to Fig. 2. Seal and voila:

Fig. 3: Sealed Stank

Insert the package into the briefcase and transport it home direct to the laundry basket and/or trash can.  If you really are pressed for space in the bag, overnight the package to a loved one. I will say that it’s best if you don’t tell them what they are getting because the smell may or may not stun a horse.

I'm just here to help.