Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Scenes from a law office

Episode One: The scene opens to reveal the protagonist at his desk when the phone rings. He answers and as the caller ID pops up he realizes that he has made a grave error in answering. On the other end of the line is an obnoxious lawyer who calls way too frequently about nothing in general. He is a drain on the firms time and should be dealt with at arms length [Read: Let the junior associate deal with him and keep him off the partners backs]

Me: This is Namby Pamby
Opposing Counsel: I need to speak with Senior Partner
Me: Let me see if I can find him. [Puts phone on pause].
During the next 3 minutes of the camera shot, the action shows this attorney engage in IM chat, organize files on his desk, send a text message, drink coffee and watches the Senior Partner walk past his office. It’s at this time he reaches for the phone and begins talking to opposing counsel yet again:
Me: I’m sorry, I couldn’t find him.
I did my best, I really did.