Thursday, December 21, 2006

Well...this sucks

It was a simple knee arthroscope and possible meniscus repair. Easy stuff. The doctor laid it out that I'd start the surgery at 12:30, out of the operating room by 2, spend an hour in recovery, and then on the way home.

I realized that when I came to around 6pm last night that something had gone awry.

Turns out that I had no cartilage damage or meniscus issues. But I had a broken kneecap. And by some medical miracle, I was able to walk, run, and exhibit NO symptoms of this serious injury. They opened the entire knee up, removed the free floating chunks of bone, and now I have screw holding things together. Nothing like having a major operation when it was supposed to be slam, bam, thank you ma'am.

I spent last night in the hospital in order to get the pain under control. I'm on a variety of painkillers and now under the care of Dr. Mom (and Dad) out in the burbs. The simple way to say things is that I'm going to be out of action for a while.