Wednesday, March 01, 2006

This is Sportscenter

Last night, Intramural basketball playoffs was a blast. Collectively, we are 'Nino's Nine': our team is 7 3L's and 2 2L's (The 2Ls being a former DIII player and myself, the scrub). Four of our starting five had night class and were going to be arriving right at game time (7:15). So, we were without bench reserve throughout the first half. We got off to a quick start, but got winded down the stretch.

Cue the trumpets: the Calvary arrived. Our athletic big men combined 700+ pounds and heights of 6'7, 6'4, and 6'3 all show up and the spirits get lifted. Our 6'4" Kobe-esque offensive juggernaut comes in with 30 seconds left in the first half, draws a foul, and the run begins. By the time the other team realized what happened (about 5 minutes into the second half), we had the lead after going on something like a 14-0 run.

The highlight of my night (2 points on 1-4 shooting, 4 assists, 4 boards) was the best actor award that I picked up for the flop of the century and the charge that I 'took' to get it. My teammates said I was falling before contact was even made...I think they were right. But it helped that I knew that the ref was behind me and most likely could not tell the exact moment that contact was initiated. I'd like to thank the Academy.

The game was tooth and nail down the stretch. Including one guy getting a technical foul for one ill-advised comment to the ref (Seriously, who knew his sister was a sensistive topic of coversation). By the time the dust settled, 57-55, Nino's Nine is still alive in the playoff bracket.