Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Those billable hours weren’t lost, they were waiting to be found

Partner: “I’m going to need your up to date time on the Smith case”
Me: [Smith case, Smith case? That’s from last summer…] “I’m not sure I had any meaningful time from after our last bill went out”
Partner: “Yeah, you did, you went to court and you did a bunch of other stuff before and after that hearing in August. It’s probably like 6 hours.”
Me: “I’ll see what I can find and I’ll make the rest up.”
Partner: “Perfect”

For Professional Services Rendered
From August 30, 2009 to the Present
Attorney: Namby Pamby

Sunday, August 30, 2009

I must have taken a look at the file before the Court hearing. If nothing else I took it out of my briefcase when I took my laptop out to draft my fantasy football team that day. Maybe this is why my team sucked so much was because I was working when I should have been drafting…
Review client file and memorandum at law re: court hearing, prepare for oral argument re: same 1.8 Hours

Monday, August 31, 2009

Put file from desk at home, back into briefcase, take to office, return file to my filing cabinet.
Finalize oral argument preparation 1.5 hours
Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Discussed the prospective Bears season with opposing counsel, spent 4.3 nanoseconds in front of the judge and shot the breeze with opposing counsel about our law school alma maters.
Pre-hearing conference with opposing counsel, court hearing and oral argument, post-hearing conference with opposing counsel, review draft order 1.3

Total bullshit hours: 4.6
I hate when I forget to log my time.