Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Bring me the finest muffins and bagels in all the land

Less than a month after I got sworn in, I took my first client who happens to be my best friend.  Since that date, I've been waging a battle here and there with the Plaintiff's attorney in the case.  Over the past 18 months its gone something like:  They served my client, I quashed service.  They demanded settlement in an unholy amount, I proposed a countersuit.  They said they will win at trial, I said check the law.  


It's gone on and on and on and on.  Until... 

I ran into the Plaintiff's attorney by chance after I was in court today.  He and I start shooting the breeze (he's a nice guy, his client is the one who sucks) and he promptly tells me that his client wants to dismiss the case and forget the whole thing.  Cue Johnny Drama.

When I think about this case, I realize that I knew nothing when my friend retained me.  I would have been able to present a case to the judge, but I would have had no idea how to actually get to that point.  I've learned a lot since then.  I've done a lot since then.  But had the facts not played out as they did, I could have been in some serious trouble.  

But it worked out.  And my best friend, who doesn't know yet, will be quite happy.