Thursday, March 20, 2008

All I can say is that I laughed while this was going on

Judge: "Let me get this straight. You are asking for 30 days to schedule 3 depositions?"
Me: "Yes, your honor"
Judge: "In Cook County and pretty much every civilized world that's not a lot of work. That's one deposition for every ten days. That's what it breaks down to, right counsel?
Me: "Yes, your honor"
Judge: "I understand that the partner handling this case is out on vacation for 2 weeks. Let him have his time off. But when he gets back, I'll give him a week. That's 5 business days. To schedule. Schedule these 3 depositions. You only have to work 8 hours a day, maybe just a little more to make this happen. You think you can come back here in weeks to give me the goods news that you have scheduled these three depositions?"
Me: "I am sure I can your honor"
Judge: "I think you can, [to his clerk] Do you think he can do this?"
Clerk: "Absolutely"
Judge: "You hear that? He's a cynical guy and even he thinks you can do this. I'll see you in three weeks and I am already looking forward to hearing about how you’ve scheduled these three depositions"
Me: "I’m looking forward to it as well, your honor"