Wednesday, October 17, 2007

These posts may be numbered...because I may not live through the weekend

There is a big football game happening Saturday. ESPN College Gameday will be there. It's Big Football School versus Basketball School that Hasn't Had a Good Football Team in 6 years. It's 'I have the arrogance of an Ivy Leaguer but I'm just not as smart' versus 'I am surrounded by Corn.'

It's Michigan versus Illinois.

Illinois has been my favorite college football team since I can remember. This has something to do with the fact that both my parents went to Illinois and they are both extremely enthusiastic rabid Illini fans. They taught me at a young age: "When you root for college teams, always root for the Illini and whoever is playing Michigan." I may have said before that it was like Christmas morning when Appalachian State beat Michigan. And then it got so much better when Oregon came a calling.

I've been in a war of text messages with one of my friends from law school who attended Ann Arbor since the season began. Before Illinois made it into the rankings, I was talking shit. After Illinois made it into the rankings, I was talking shit. After Illinois laid an egg at Iowa last week, I am still talking shit. The subject of the messages: "Michigan will lose to Illinois."

The great thing is that the humble individuals that are Michigan fans do not see this game as that much of a test. To them, Illinois is that pesky school that just needs to submit so that the Wolverines can show down for the Rose Bowl with Ohio State. I still maintain that Illinois will beat Michigan this coming Saturday night. They can't defend the spread offense and a three headed rushing attack should cause fits and starts for their defense. And that is why I will likely not survive the weekend.

The reason: I've agreed to go to a bar to watch this game.

I've agreed to go to a bar to watch this game with a Michigan grad.

I've agreed to go to a Michigan Bar to watch the game with this Michigan grad.

And I'm going to wear Illini Orange and Blue.