Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Just remember, when you control the mail, you control...information.

I went to the mail room [our PC term is “document services”] this morning to enlist their expertise in doing insanely tedious copying that I cannot bring myself to do duplicating a ream of sensitive documents so that we can answer a subpoena for one of our clients.

The mail room is hidden, it is in a sub-basement, tucked away from the light of the day and even has a security door one has to be buzzed through that prevents the casual onlooker from stumbling into their fiefdom in the bowels of the building. It’s a trek just to get down to them.

They buzz me in and take the intricate copying job without question or emotion. “I’ll call you when it’s done.” As I make my way back out of the maze and into the daylight, I wonder if one can really start in the mail room and work their way to the top. My guess is that yes, they can. This is America and anyone can succeed despite any setbacks or hurdles.

I believe that mandate is written in the Constitution or maybe on the back of a 24 hour diner napkin: "that if at first you don't succeed, steal the bosses paychecks"